Tuesday, July 30, 2013

July 30, Stage 24

July 30, Ludington, MI to Hudsonville (Grand Rapids), MI, 110 miles, 2500 climbing feet. Temperature high of 82--great day for riding, 6-7 mph headwind most of the day that was not too bad. A few hills out of Ludington, then rollers, then the last 40 miles were pretty flat. Route went through forest-lined areas that were gorgeous, then 12 bike trail miles, then about 20 on this wonderful, little-traveled winding, gentle up and down road through forests, then along shouldered and non-shouldered busy highways. The surprise was that the ride was supposed to be 121 miles, and ended at 111. The concern is that we will have a surprise 10 extra miles added to tomorrow's route. Quality Inn tonight. Yesterday, the 29th, was the Badger Car-Ferry day from Manitowoc to Ludington, a 2-hour preparation and loading time that embarked on a 4-hour trip from 2 p.m. Central to 7 p.m. Eastern as we switched time zones. Beautiful motel right on the Lake Michigan coast. The day and trip were welcome. I immediately sat down in one of the recliner chairs and was out like a light. The Badger had bingo, a game room, a quiet room, a gift shop and everything that one might want for lake-going. Badger is the last coal-fired ship on Lake Michigan, about 60 years old. An unexpected problem was that my bike computer stopped working. A new battery did not solve the problem. Trying to follow a cue sheet with many turns at exact mileages, without a computer would be a problem. My bike-shop-employee roommate guessed that Walmart might have a computer. After a few calls to the Ludington Walmart and attempts to explain what a bike computer was, the electronics guy told me that they had what I needed. Then, at 8 p.m., do I get my bike out of storage and ride the 3.4 miles to Walmart or take a taxi? Rode out to Walmart, got the computer, along with a couple of Burger King grilled chicken sandwiches for my roommate and me, since we had not had dinner, got back to the room at 9:15. An advantage of having a roommate who works who has the best job in the world, working in a bike shop, and who specializes in installing bike computers, is that he took over and had the new computer set up and installed in about 10 minutes. I would have spent about 45 minutes reading and decifering the manual. The computer worked great today. Another nagging problem is that the hip bursitis problem that I eased with a Cortisone injection 2 weeks ago in Missoula is starting to come back. Fortunately, it is not a problem while riding. Hopefully, I can ward it off with the I-Vitamin for another week. The neck pain was non-existent today. The massage probably helped greatly. Should be a relatively flat day tomorrow. Heading to Coldwater, MI.

7 comments:

  1. Ellery, you are one of the luckiest guys I know having a roomy that's a bike mechanic. I guess what goes around comes around, like they say. Sounds as if you've got quite an effective problem-solving team going there. Stick with that fellow and try not to drive him away with snoring (or you might have to share the earplugs with him).

    The ferry ride sounds like a dream come true for you hearty riders. Nothing like a little rest for the weary traveler's mind, body and spirit to enjoy the dawn of a new day.

    I'm glad you're back to the blog and assumed that taking a day off of riding while on the ferry also meant a day off of blogging. Seems like a reasonable approach. I did view Susan's (PAC Tour) photos of the ferry. Quite a ship! And now I know why I didn't detect you in a single photo. You were likely down in the belly enjoying the nap.

    Watch out for that hip. Find some stretches that will hold it at bay. And enjoy the remaining days of scenery and comraderie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't tell you how excited i was that you got back on blogging. you are forgiven for the day off. lol. I have a friend (brian)who i have got interested in your journey. we follow you on an atlas here at home and have marked your travels. he finds your journal very interesting and is envious of your strength and determination. Keep on biking and know that you are giving us something to get excited about without actually having to endure the physical tribulations that come with it. Don't get us wrong, we feel for you.
    I hope you continue on without too much pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers continue for you. Excited to read your notes each evening. Finished the Ragbrai on Sunday and thought of you each day at the tough spots. Thanks and keep the focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, I hope you enjoyed Ragbrai. Thanks for your support and prayers.

      Delete
  4. The bike ride to Wal-Mart sounds like an epic journey, except I guess 3 and 1/2 miles is probably not very epic for you. I'm glad the day off was refreshing- The Badger sounds like a fun and relaxing experience. Those canopied roads sound like they've been keeping you cool. Satchel transitioned pretty well back to school today, but Jackie had a rough go of it without her brother.

    Sufjan Stevens wrote a whole album about Michigan and had plans of making albums about all 50 states. He made another great album about Illinois before abandoning the project. Here's a song about Michigan.

    Sufjan Stevens- "Say Yes to Michigan"
    Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWnZMQy-gjM

    Demonstrate I was
    Raised from the start
    By a priest and
    The maid on the part
    Still know what
    To wear on my back
    Michigan!
    Ponshewaing!
    Cadillac!

    If I ever meant to go away
    I was raised, I was raised
    In the place, in the place
    Still I often think of going back
    To the farms, to the farms
    Golden arms, golden arms
    Start to remind me

    If the lakes took
    The place of the sea
    If the cars drove themselves
    Way to be!
    Opposite the trains moving in
    Rivers run interstate, Michigan!

    Still I never meant to go away
    I was raised, I was raised
    In the place, in the place
    Still I often think of going back
    To the farms, to the farms
    Golden arms, golden arms
    Tried to change the
    Made in Michigan
    I was raised, I was raised
    In the place, in the place
    Part to remind me

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound so refreshed after Sunday's blog. I'm so glad. I was worried about you. I have heard how beautiful Michigan is. Sounds like you are experiencing it. I'm so glad the weather is cooperating for you. We are holding down the fort here and are looking forward to your return soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you be any luckier than to have a bike shop worker as a roommate? I'm glad Sam Walton stocked what you needed. And you can save that taxi fare for a beer in Williamsburg.
    The ferry ride sounds divine. Erik Christiansen and I took an overnight ferry from Santorini to Athens and folks were sleeping all over the floor because there weren't enough seats. I'm just glad you had a day off.
    That part of Michigan is pretty, as Susie can attest to. I recall us discussing the prospect of brutal headwinds on these rides going south. I hope it ends up being kinder to your body. You'll need some "easier" days before you hit wild, wonderful West Virginia.
    Gabe, Jason & I are headed up to Havi area for the next couple days. Gabe's in love with the beach. How could he not be? Would be fun for all of us to be together in Hawaii sometime. Jojo and I discussed renting a house on the north shore of Oahu. Visualize that when you're looking for a goal!
    I love you lots. You're in the home stretch now. Amazing!
    My

    ReplyDelete