Friday, July 26, 2013

July 26, Stage 20

July 26, Albert Lea, MN to La Crosse, WI, 140 miles (was supposed to be 127!), 3000 ft climbing. Perfect day of riding, although it did get a little long. Temps in the upper 70s/low 80s, strong wind out of the west and a little north, variety of scenery--looked like Iowa. Wandered around getting out of Albert Lea on county roads to first stop at 31 miles in Rose Creek. Then rode the Shoting Star State Bike Trail for 12 miles--it paralleled Route 56. Then began some nice rolling hills, kind of like from Martensdale to Osceola and Leon, kept going east, then north, over and over. At Preston, joined the Root River Trail, a popular trail that goes through Lanesboro, a very neat town that the bike trail enlivened years ago (Marsha and I spent a weekend there years ago, riding our tandem.), then on through Whalen, Rushford, and on to Houston--41 miles total. A nice break from highways, interstates, automobiles, trucks, etc. The trail looks a lot like the Raccoon River Trail from Adel to Panora, or the Saylorville Trail, only more overgrown with trees canopying nearly the whole distance. After the trail ended, took Route 16 up and down a few pretty good hills the final 22 miles into La Crosse. Took a couple of pictures of the Mississippi River. Arrived at our Courtyard by Marriott Hotel about 5:00. Felt pretty good today, although 140 miles gets kind of long. Marsha's visit yesterday, although brief, helped much. My new roommate Dave--probably mid-50s-- and I had pork loin dinners at Piggy's across the street. Dave rides like the breeze. For the past 20 years, his job has been at a bike shop in Omaha--knows bike world well, knows Bike World folks, organizes trips for customers, did the first half of the Northern Transcontinental 3 years ago, and is now back to complete it. He believes that he has the best job in the world. Hmmm. I thought that I did. Next two days crossing Wisconsin, 135 and 125 miles. More climbing. SW Wisconsin has some brutal hills. Really helps to have a non-headwind. Just want to get to that Badger Ferry for a day off.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good day, save the phantom 13 miles! I bet no one has ever looked forward to that WI-MI ferry as much as you do. I hope the tailwinds continue. It makes cycling so much more pleasurable. Glad to hear you got a rest from the highway.
    I'm glad Mom & Mark made the trip. What a great biking buddy you have in Mark!
    I'm beginning to wonder if someone has paid you for pork placements in your blog postings. Pork seems to be a common meal. It was always my favorite on RAGBRAI.
    I hope yourvisualization of the ferry helps with the Wisconsin hills. Those brutal hills create good ski slopes, if I recall.
    Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good day, although longer than advertised. Glad the weather has been in your corner the last few days. Today, Amy and I took Jackie and Gabe to my friend Steve's farm where they fed and petted goats, sheep, rabbits, and chased after geese.

    One of my favorite singer/songwriters to emerge over the last ten years is Bon Iver who hails from Wisconsin and references that neck of the woods again. I wonder if this lyric resonates with you on this journey "...every place I go I take another place with me." Have a great day tomorrow. Love, Ben

    Bon Iver- "Wisconsin"
    Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWAae-UuUSs

    Lyrics:
    You're out in the park and you're peeking
    Piss pools in your seat
    She's standing inside but you surely repeat
    Oh God don't leave me here
    I will freeze till you leave
    Love is love's reprieve

    Winter is come and you're stacking
    All your summer sheets
    Now when the wind blows you cover your tooth
    And our tool shed
    Where you trade in your blues
    Love is love's sad news

    That was Wisconsin, that was yesterday
    Now I have nothing that I can keep
    'Cause every place I go I take another place with me
    Love is love's mystique

    You're up on the bar and you're shaking
    With every grimy word
    Who will you love? What's love when you've hurt?
    The winter as your scene
    The snow kissed the curb
    Love is love's return

    That was Wisconsin, that was yesterday
    Now I have nothing that I can keep
    'Cause every place I go I take another place me
    Love is love's critique

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear your spirits are improving; riding up on that tailwind. Hope to be seeing Mark this morning to hear of his evening with you and Marsha.

    I'll be thinking of you climbing those hills up and out of the Mississippi River basin this morning. They can get steep! But beautiful country for your ride today. And maybe you can score some fresh cheese curds to hear them squeak as you chew them. They can't replace the pork, but are interesting in their own way.

    Mark just sent a note hat he's going to pass on riding today. So will be missing you on the ride today. Might be a thin group of Team Chaos riders (only Mike and me again).

    Enjoy the day. The Lake is near!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Ellery, for keeping us posted. I have enjoyed your daily updates--you write with such a delightful, thoughtful style... and now, for the third or fourth time, I am trying to reply. You have an amazing story going here... and it is fun to share with others what you are up to-- even clients who see the information at the front desk become intrigued by your passion. Thank you for sharing your adventure with us... and thank you for allowing this to be an opportunity to bring attention to our counseling assistance fund. I hear that we have received generosity from many of the Center's faithful supporters. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing journey Ellery. Looking at the map, the lake is a real milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missed you this morning. Only Mike & me. Van Meter Farmer's Market again so Mike could get his cinnamon rolls & I picked up another small pie ("very berry" this week; the small ones fit perfectly in the back center pocket of a bike jersey). The bridge on the road to Booneville is fixed & open. It was a beautiful, cool, crisp morning & I was hoping you're getting the same weather & wind. Watch put for those Packer fans; they can be rabid! Enjoy the day, Ellery.

    ReplyDelete