Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July 16, Stage 10

July 16, Butte, MT to Columbus, MT, 105 miles, 3000 ft of climbing, tempurature ranged between 59 and 73, then back down to 64 at the finish. The 30 degree lower temperature was a welcome relief. This was one of the worst days of riding I have encountered. (At home, I always ride into the headwind going out, so that the wind becomes a tailwind to blow me home. Out here, there is no being blown home.) Headwind--20+ mph most of the day. This was supposed to be an easy day, with little climbing following an early climb. The early climb was riding on the shoulder of I-90 for about 20 miles, a gradual climb. Fortunately, I was able to ride with a few others to the first stop. Afterward, I could not keep up with them, so was riding on a frontage road along I-90 by myself, into the headwind, at about 13-15 mph. I was calculating how long it would take me to get to the finish for the day, and it did not seem pretty. Bikers are usually thinking in terms of how long it will take at a particular speed. On a day like this, calculating does not effectively take one's mind off what is going on with the body--some more neck pain, some seat pain, leg exhaustion, mental discouragement--wondering "why am I doing this--riding a bicycle across this god-forsaken state, while I could be sitting in my office in air-conditioning. Most days have a period of time when discouragement and exhaustion set in. Sometimes, salvation occurs. For a couple of miles, I could see these three riders gaining on me. They were in a paceline, taking turns leading for a mile at a time, with the other two getting a 30% saving of effort riding in the leader's draft. They invited me to join in, and my speed jumped from 14 to 20+. At the next stop, I contined with two of them, with each of us taking turns leading, except one guy wanted to lead for 9 miles--no one argued. Three sections of riding on the shoulder of I-90. At one point, the shoulder ended as we crossed an interstate bridge. No trucks, or cars were in the vicinity. We stayed together into Columbus, with some light rain coming down. At the end, the body usually feels spent. Amazing, though, is how that feeling leaves as soon as one arrives and gets off the bike. Then, the craving for sugar--cookies, soft drinks, etc.--sets in big time. PACTour has those provided at the end, along with potato chips, etc. Also amazing is how much a shower and clean clothes adds to the transformation. Then, spaghetti for dinner tonight, blogging, and off to bed, with another day in saddle coming tomorrow. Breakfast at 7:00. Supposed to be a tougher day. Next few days are longer, and the next two jump into the 6-7,000 ft climbing range, and steeper. The legs do seem to bounce back by morning. Hope they come through again.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you hung in there Ellery. We'd expect no less! I can't imagine the burden of your thoughts riding into that wind for so long. Ugh. But we know you're strong and have an amazing drive to persevere. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and sending thoughts of a relaxed neck, strong leg muscles, and easy rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Sunday as I was hiking across the lava with a 50 pound pack, I cursed a headwind, too. Keep using the power of drafting during those headwinds. I'm glad that a shower has a transformative effect on you each day. I see you're crossing into a new state tomorrow. Here's an old classic that was used in opening and credit sequences in some old Western movies- "The Hills of Old Wyoming." I'm guessing you'll be getting to know some of these hills of over the next couple of days. The song was written by the Sons of the Pioneers. Here it's performed by Gene Autry.

    Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySTufyX0rCk

    Lyrics: Let me ride on a trail in the hills of old Wyomin'
    Where the coyotes wail in the gloamin'
    For it's there where my hearts at home.

    --- Hum or whistle ---

    In the night let me rest,
    With the blue sky for my ceilin'
    'Till the winds lullaby comes stealin'
    From the hills where my hearts at home.

    --- Hum or whistle ---

    Wake with a song, wake with the sun...
    Saddle to mend. cattle to tend.
    Plenty to be done.

    Let me live on the range
    Where a man has room to roam in
    And dream of his love in the gloamin'
    In the hills of old Wyomin'.

    In the hills of old Wyomin'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellery! This is the first time I checked your blog and I read from the beginning to your last post. I promise to do a better job for the remainder of your trip.

    You amaze me Ellery and I am fascinated by your play by play of your trip. Need to know more about these little green pills :)

    Will you consider HyVee Triathlon this year after returning or are you going to give it a rest?

    Remember we will climb Mount Rainier someday.

    Oh yea, I enjoyed you talking about riding near Mount Baker. I have done alot of snowboarding there with my son and my daughter in law.

    Be safe Ellery!

    Gary M Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh and here i am complaining about packing "yet another damn box of junk" and so on! I will officially stop but I can empathize with you as today I have neck pain, back pain and my legs are tired too! Nevertheless, you've certainly got it far more challenging, and I'm cheering you on, and humming along with the latest State nod. (Love this Gene Autry song from Ben!) The Music Master has supplied tons of great stuff to keep you going along the tour! What a kid, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellery, I have been following you and keeping the prayers going for strength and focus. I am very proud of you. In your honor I went out at 4:30 pm and rode the 50 miles to the high bridge by Madrid and back before dark the other night. After, I knew I was ready for Ragbrai next week. Your a real inspiration for me. Prayers continue. DA Weesner

    ReplyDelete