Thursday, July 18, 2013

July 18, Stage 12

July 18, Stage 12, Powell, WY to Sheridan, WY, 123 miles, 7300 ft climbing. This was the big crossing of the Big Horn Mountains day. The day began with 33 miles of flat to slightly downhill to the base of the Big Horns. I latched onto a pace line, going about 20-22 mph that knocked off the 33 miles in about an hour and a half, crossing Big Horn Lake, level with the desert area. After the rest stop, the 27 mile climb began with 2-3% grades, that gradually increased to 8%, and after 12 miles, increased to 10%, then to 13% for a half-mile stretch, before easing off to the 8-10% norm for the rest of the climb. The steepest grades eased off at 21 miles, 8,950 elevation. Some more downs and ups to the unnamed summit at 9,430 elevation. My speed was in the 4-5 mph range--could have thrown the bike over the side of the mountain and walked faster. Temperature kept rising--my forehead shows it--and I was sweating profusely. Wonderful mountain scenery, so I would stop every couple of miles to let my heart rate drop down. Could look ahead and see how the winding road had gained another thousand feet around a switchback or two. That was discouraging. Some say that it is better to not look ahead, just keep focused on what is right in front of you. Made it to the top about noon--3.5 hour climb including the breaks. I was pretty well shot, and still had 62 miles to get into Sheridan. Then, two wonderful things happened. No, not a rescue helicopter. An 8 mile descent that I topped out at 43 mph (a father and son on their tandem hit 50 mph today. Then, after lunch at mile 77, another climb of 5 miles, followed by an 11 mile descent that looked like those home or car ads, where the guy buys the house or car purely on the basis of being able to drive hairpin curves going to and from home. Pretty exciting going 35 mph, but also a little nerve-wracking, hoping that the road crew had swept away any sand or gravel. Temp had jumped into the 90s, so was unpleasant getting on into Sheridan. Great full rack of ribs dinner at the Wyoming Rib and Chop House. I must continue to eat more protein--spaghetti and meat sauce does not cut it. Glad that this day is over. Tomorrow into Gillette, WY will be a little shorter with not so much climbing.

7 comments:

  1. This was a big, big day. And you did it! Keep eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,
      Thanks for checking on me. After today, I think I would have chosen the Big Horn again.
      Ellery

      Delete
  2. Congrats on conquering the Big Horns! You continue to inspire. Ribs sound like a pretty good treat at the end of a hard day. Hope you can get another cool day.

    I see tomorrow you're going near the Powder River. Wyoming's most famous country musician, Chris Ledoux sang on "Wyoming Girl" that was where the only girl for him was.

    Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwOQF-9aSuY

    Lyrics: I saw her for the first time when the snow was falling down
    And Lord she was the cutest thing I've ever seen
    Great big green eyes a flashin' ruby lips a smilin'
    Well my heart went pitter patter and I knew it was gonna shatter
    If I couldn't make that little gal my own
    You can sing about your sweet Joly Blon
    You can sing about them pretty gals down in Tennessee
    You can sing your song about that Yellow Rose of Texas
    But the one by the Powder River that runs through old Kaycee
    That Wyoming girls the only one for me

    I've been around this big country and I've seen a lot of women in my time
    Well there ain't none sweeter and there ain't none better
    Than this little gal I call mine and I thank you Lord for making her my wife
    You can sing about...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben,
      Thanks for again sharing your musical wealth.
      We did cross the Powder River.
      Love, Dad

      Delete
  3. Epic day, Ellery. Keep breathing, spinning (as much as possible as you can at 5 mph - !!), and eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim,
      Thanks for your encouragement. I had an all you can eat buffet tonight, with beef, shrimp, cod, etc.
      Ellery

      Delete
  4. You're in good company on the sweat front. I have never seen anyone sweat as much as you on a bike until I saw Chris Froome march up A3 last week. So you're I'm good company.
    I'm glad you gave into the pace line and drafting. I have fond memories of hugging your wheel in some stiff winds. Ok, not so fond memories. The view stunk. But I was always glad to be on your wheel because the alternative stunk. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete