Friday, July 19, 2013

July 19, Stage 13

July 19 (I got confused talking to Marsha and thought that this was Friday, the 13th. It felt like a Friday, the 13th. Just Stage 13.) Sheridan, WY to Gillette, WY (population 29,000). 110 miles, 3,500 climbing ft. Remember when I suggested last night that today should be an easier day, with 13 fewer miles and 3,000 fewer climbing feet? During the night, I began to wonder about the possibility of a headwind. 15-20 mph out of the east and south, the directions that we were headed all day. Temperature quickly rose above 90, and bounced around 100 off and on. (My bike computer has a thermometer built in, along with an altimeter.) So, it was a long, miserable day. The saving grace was that Fredrico, a thirties-something young guy from Italy, and I rode together about 60 of the miles, taking turns leading into the wind, switching after about 1-2 miles. As I said earlier, that made a big difference. Quite a few riders got into Gillette after we did--around 5 p.m. Terrain was a lot like eastern Colorado, with foothills, some irrigation, range pasture, abandoned houses, and businessesoccasional oil and gas installations, some cattle, one corn field--about waist-high, rare water in the form of creeks, rivers. Long 1-3% inclines and declines. For about 5 minutes, we had a slight tailwind. Staying at a new, huge Best Western. Ate at their restaurant since it was an all you can eat buffet. Got to pack in the protein. Lon Haldeman and Susan Notorangelo are the owners of PACTour, which they started more than 25 years ago (I may be repeating myself--the days all run into each other. The ride is very disorienting. Since my cell phone stopped picking up email, I have no idea what is going on in the world most of the time. There are advantages. Anyhow, each day, Lon and Susan provide a route sheet and a cue sheet, which shows any turns we make during the day. Some days, like today and yesterday, we were on US Route 14 the whole day. One couple on a tandem, made a wrong turn, adding 7 miles to their day. The hope tomorrow is for less headwind, and even a little tailwind. That would not seem too much to ask of the weather gods after two weeks of riding. If we can get into Custer, SD, tomorrow, we have a short, 70 mile day on Sunday, to give time to visit Mount Rushmore. Marsha says that Iowa should get a break in its hot weather in the next day or so. Usually, cooler weather in Iowa is accompanied with a wind out of the east and rain. The ride is having some "war of attrition" quality. Several riders have colds. Lon and Susan require us to wash our hands every time we stop for a food or liquid break.

12 comments:

  1. Ellery, I have packing today and heading to Council Bluffs tomorrow to be ready to start Ragbrai on Sunday. It will be a puddle jump compared to your last couple days. Washing your hands at every stop is probably a very good idea. Keep eating, prayers for your safety and strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,
      Have a great RAGBRAI!! I will hold you in my prayers, as well.
      Ellery

      Delete
  2. Yesterday your post reminded me of the fact that the Tour climbed Alpe d'Huez twice yesterday. There was an insane descent on the backside of Alpe d'Huez which made many of the riders quite nervous. I suppose it distracted them from the hell of climbing Alpe d'Huez twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me respect those TdF riders even more. Both climbing and descending. Love, Dad

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a rough day. Glad you survived it. Hope the winds shift or die down. See that you'll be heading into the Black Hills- pretty country that's a little more rounded than what you've ridden through. I found the "Black Hills of Dakota" from Calamity Jane.

    Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p59nrGixAYY

    Lyrics:
    Take me back to the black hills
    The black hills of Dakota
    To the beautiful Indian country
    That I lo-ove
    Lost my heart in the black hills
    The black hills of Dakota
    Where the pines are so high
    That they kiss the sky above
    And when I get that lonesome feelin'
    And I'm miles away from home
    I hear the voice of the mystic mountains
    Callin' me back home
    So take me back to the black hills
    The black hills of Dakota
    To the beautiful Indian country
    That I love
    And when I get that lonesome feelin'
    And I'm miles away from home
    I hear the voice of the mystic mountains
    Callin' me back home
    So take me back to the black hills
    The black hills of Dakota
    To the beautiful Indian country
    That I love
    To the beautiful Indian country
    That I lo-ove
    Take me back to the Black Hills
    To the beautiful Indian country that I lo-o-ove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Black Hills are black. Wonderful forested lushness, compared to Wyoming. Thanks for the song. Will see Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore tomorrow. Love, Dad

      Delete
  4. Now that I finally figured out how to
    post, I will have more to say along the way. First thing, Froome said after today's brutal Alps stage (Col de Sarnenne) that every night he feels like he's dead. I imagine that's the extreme physical exhaustion you're feeling too. I wish we'd thought to send you a blood bag! Second thing, listen to Susan and Lon. They are wise. Third, always follow the Italian riders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the update. Actually feel a little better tonight.

      Delete
  5. I can't imagine what you are experiencing. The mental toughness required, as much as the physical stamina. Somehow it seems good that you will be coming through the MW now, like you'll be getting a break because everything is moderate here, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel better closer to home. Longer miles for a week. 135-145 daily, but no big climbs. The greedy me wants tailwinds all the way to Lake Michigan.
      Thanks for writing, at 3:54 a.m. Of course that is probably when you are getting up!
      Ellery

      Delete
  6. Sending a cheer for you! But after reading this blog I don't know that it makes much difference. You've got fortitude, a lot of support, and great people riding with you and running the PACTour, too. Add to that Ben's music, Marsha's updates, Amy's love, and NOT knowing what's happening in the world, outside your terrain, (and no, as of today the Duchess hasn't delivered the latest Royal Baby:) you are an amazing bro-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on becoming a Hawkeye, or Bulldog, again.
      El

      Delete