Thursday, July 25, 2013

July 25, Stage 19

July 25, Worthington, MN to Albert Lea, MN, 124 miles, 1500 climbing feet, according to the itinerary. Reluctant to check my computer altimeter since it was not always working accurately. The main theme of the day was the 15 mph wind out of the southwest that eventually moved more out of the west. We are headed east!! Most of the day spent moving along in the 18-22 mph range. Caught a couple of folks to draft off for awhile. Greg, a chiropractor from northern California, and his son Zack, power their tandem day after day. Zack lives to bike. On hills, he is out of the saddle most of the way up, which helps Greg alot. I rode about forty miles on my own, seeing many wind turbines, much like the Storm Lake, IA area. We crossed the Des Moines River in Jackson, MN. Did not stop at the Prairie Dog Museum in Fairmont. Afternoon stop was at an old historic gas station--garage/house. Rode awhile with Bob and Mike, the CT attorneys. They were moving along at 22-24 mph, which I could maintain for about 10 miles. Then, they were gone. Got into Albert Lea about 2:30, which was wonderful. Most days are rolling out of bed with some effort, needing more sleep, getting organized with whatever I will need during the day, eating breakfast in the parking lot (oatmeal is getting old), riding with the goal of trying to get as many miles in before the temperature gets into the 90s, refueling at the 3-4 stops during the day (they are spaced about 20-30 miles apart), arriving at the next overnight town, cleaning the bike, cleaning the body, doing laundry, eating, blogging, getting to bed. Each day is rather long, and all of them fly by in a blur. A surprise today was about 5 miles out of Albert Lea, this guy in a car passed me slowly, and yelled, "You are doing pretty good for an old man." The car then pulled off the road and out steps Mark Sherinian, a biker friend from Des Moines. He had been doing a deposition a few hours away and this was sort of on his way home. The main treat for the evening was that Marsha drove up from Des Moines. She brought a few things I needed and took back some of the extras I did not need. Her main concern was how stooped I am. She and Mark agreed that I may need a walker when I return home, or we will need to sign me up for a nursing home. She gave me advice on stretches that will help. We had dinner together before Mark headed back to Iowa. His quote for the evening: "Ellery, you are either a tribute to human endurance, or absolute stupidity." Having Marsha here was wonderful. She is the ultimate biker enabler. Having Mark surprise me was a real treat, also. They and my niece and her family in Rapid City have been the only people I have known previously that I have encountered for the past 2.5 weeks. Tomorrow crossing the Mississippi and into Wisconsin. Glad to hear from the grandchildren, who are all in Kona, HI right now. Why am I riding a bike across the country while they are enjoying themselves on a beach in Hawaii? The choices we make!! Regarding body report: shoulders very stiff, seat is uncomfortable, legs are getting worn down day by day, but keep going, ride is a pain in the neck, a little bruising in the palm of my hand. (I really appreciate your comments--I read all of them, and they are so encouraging. I sometimes do not have time to comment on them, and sometimes can't think of anyting articulate to say. This whole thing is rather disorienting--riding hard each day to get to another town whose main meaning is the overnight motel. I absorb your comments, think about them during the day and will have them as a precious treasure when I can slow down and absorb them. I am daily mindful of how much I appreciate so many people in my life, and how dependent I am on so many people. Actually, we are all very dependent on many people to get through life.

11 comments:

  1. Some people say you are NUTS. but those of us that know you, say it is part of who you are. work hard, determination is what you know. take for instance DMPCC. Biking across America will be the next wonderful achievement in the life of Ellery H. Duke. Hoping your travels through beautiful Wisconsin and Michigan will be easier for you. remember mind over body. be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear about your breeze of a day! And your visitors. Hopefully, the wind keeps pushing you east. Satchel and Gabe had a great day playing on the waves at Kua Bay while Jackie stayed back and played with her new toys and Gangy. The beaches will be here for you to enjoy on your next visit. Have a great day tomorrow. I've heard La Crosse is a neat town. If you get hot tomorrow, imagine yourself standing on a bridge in La Crosse in the middle of winter.

    There is a Bon Iver song called "Minnesota, WI" which seems appropriate geographically, although I guess it's about a town called Minnesota Junction, WI which is to the north of you will be. It also is appropriate lyrically given your will and determination on your ride- "Never gonna break, never gonna break..."

    Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y692d0GPQw

    Lyrics:
    Armour let it through, borne the arboretic truth you kept posing
    Sat down in the suit, fixed on up it wasn't you by finished closing

    Ramble in the roots, had the marvel, moved the proof be kneeled fine's glowing
    Storing up the clues, it had it's sullen blue bruised through by showing

    Settle past a patience where wishes and your will are spilling pictures
    Water's running through in the valley where we grew to write this scripture:

    Never gonna break
    Never gonna break
    Never gonna break
    Never gonna break
    Not for a part in any gamut of the dark

    Doubled in the toes annex it, it minute closed in the morning
    Did not lose it in the stack's stow, I'm a lay that call back on ya

    You know it won't beseech you, we're laying in an open field
    I will let you grow, no need to notice

    So carry on my dear, what is clear up in the daylight is we're hung here
    Fall is coming soon, a new year for the moon and the Hmong here

    Never gonna break
    Never gonna break
    Never gonna break
    Never gonna break
    All that it seems
    Bellows tracing through the streams

    Never gonna break
    Never gonna break
    Never gonna break
    Never gonna break
    All at it's seams
    Swallows swelling for the beams


    ReplyDelete
  3. Good old Midwest. Nothing like it. I'm so glad you are over half done. I so admire your determination, perseverance, and focus. Wish I had some of that. Keep the faith that you will make it and recover with rest and relaxation when it is all done. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellery, you're almost 2/3rds of the way to the Atlantic Coast! And a day on the boat is coming. Make sure Lon sets up your spin bike on the ferry so you don't lose your mojo sitting around all that day (Ha!).

    Glad that Marsha was able to be with you. All bike riders need a good enabler around every once in a while. And Mark, representing Team Chaos, was also a nice touch. I'll look forward to his visit summary tomorrow morning on our Saturday ride.

    I've shared your saga with my mountain biking buddies from Colorado. One thinks the relentlessness of your journey is over the top. The other (the one with the "bionic" knees) feels that you having to end your day of riding with a daily blog is insane. It shows that we humans all have different perspectives and values. I'm glad I can vicariously experience the ride through your blogs, your family/friends comments, and am looking forward to many stories you'll share during future Central Iowa bike rides.

    Now that the wind is your friend and you're in the middle of the country, enjoy these days and refresh as much as possible for the home stretch of Ohio, W. Virgina, Virginia.

    And, yes, be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, Ellery, enjoyed finally seeing more photos of you on Susan's PAC Tour site. Even a couple of you riding. Proof your blogs are based on reality! Keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go Ellery! Hope you are enjoying the cooler weather up there like we are having here in Iowa. It sure is making it enjoyable for those that are on Ragbrai right now. You will get a chuckle out of this. You know my daughter Anne. She asked me to meet her last Monday to swim at Raccoon Park in WDM. She also called me last night to see if I would meet her Saturday morning for another open water swim. I bet you know what she is training for and trying to get her Dad to commit to the HyVee Tri :)

    Keep rolling down the hills Ellery!

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellery, every time I read or hear comments about Ragbrai this week, all I can think is "what wimps!" compared to what I'm reading in your blog each day. (In actuality, my hat is off to ALL of you - Ragbraiers and PACtour!)

    I'm just especially thrilled at your blogging - which is as skillful and determined as your bicycling. And that's the message I'm telling all of your 100+ pledging "support team" in my thank you letters: "Ellery is going strong - bicycling and blogging his way across the Land."

    So glad you enjoyed some much-needed nurture for your mind-body-spirit health with Marsha's visit.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellery,

    By my estimation, you have moved from being "The Man" to being "The Men." I've been following you each day and just figured out that I can actually send you a comment. Keep on rolling, my friend. You have been and continue to be a great inspiration!

    George S (Boston)

    ReplyDelete
  9. El, it has been a real treat to read your blogs. I am so glad you have gotten away from those headwinds. Thinking about you every day. Mom told be today "I wonder if he will look any different after this ride is complete. Will he look older?" This from your mother who will be 98 years old in 3 weeks.

    Keep eating well and sleeping well. I can't wait to hear more about your trip. There is a wonderful small batch bourbon with the name Kentucky Pure. We might need to open a bottle when you arrive in Cisne and recount some of your memories. All our love.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kentucky Pure sounds great! Tell Mom that I definitely look older, tireder, and thinner. And remind her that I love her. Thanks, El

      Delete
  10. I keep thinking about what you wrote about how dependent we are on other people to get through life. You have also helped many people.

    ReplyDelete