Friday, August 2, 2013

August 2, Stage 27

August 27, Lima, OH to Circleville, OH, 120 miles, approx. 1500 climbing feet. Southwest wind and we were headed south for the first 60 miles--I had nothing in my legs, was discouraged by most of the riders passing me by, my inability to hang onto a couple of pace lines. Maybe did not have enough for breakfast. Then, after the second refueling stop, I felt better--don't know if I can attribute some to the Mountain Dew. Felt good going into lunch at 80 miles, then popped some green pills and felt stronger the rest of the day. The route also shifted so that we had some east along with the south. After going through Jackson Center, Rosewood, and Urbana, the last half of the route was spent on Route 56, which wound back and forth, up and down, all the way to Circleville. Beautiful scenery of corn, soybeans, old and new large homes on acreages, or the home for the farm. Kind of like the routes that wind around the Loess Hills, without the climbing over the Hills. Yesterday, we crossed US Route 30, and I-94 and today, crossed I-70 and US Route 40. Saw quite a few signs for United Methodist Churches. Our Iowa UM Bishop Julius Trimble came from Ohio, which has a strong UM tradition. Circleville is quite an historic town/city--part of the early settlement movement of the country. Would be interesting to hang out in this area sometime. Actually, most of the places we have visited would be interesting to experience more than through an overnight motel room. In a nice Holiday Inn Express tonight. The next three days have much more long, steep climbing, the most of the tour. I am about the worst climber in the group. Have not been able to figure out why the quick descents do not balance out the slow, grinding efforts of climbing. The climbing takes forever, and the descents are over in a flash. Don't know how much more my legs have in them. Go to Parkersburg, West Virginia tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. Ellery Ellery, only two more states. Your on your last leg of the trip, no pun intended. More mt.dew, more little green pills, eat bananas, and keep on pedaling. no body said you had to finish with the group, just finish no matter now long it takes, just remember what little toot (train) said " i think I can, I think I can" 'I know I can" you can do it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening, Ellery... Thank you so much for your openness about this pilgrimage. I love how you share the unique details, the descriptions of what you see and experience, your honesty, your sense of humor, your spiritual alertness, and so on! I have been thinking about how this intense journey is a metaphor for the journey across a lifetime. Looking forward to your return -- you will have so much to tell and to teach us! Blessings! Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellery, I like Mark's metaphor very much. Your bike journey has parallels with the journey of life. Sometimes you are with others, sometimes you are alone, sometimes the wind is at your back and you sail along, and sometimes you slog it out, against the wind, uphill. When you are alone, uphill against the wind, remember that those moments give way to others, sometimes unexpectedly. Keep fueling, and keep going. You will finish!! - Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellery, ride your ride. At this point, with all you have endured and sccomplished, this is between you and your God. I can do all things through God who gives me strength; is my climbing focus. And I am one of the slowest climbers ever. Who cares, just finish strong.
    In Jazz the first chord and the last chord need to be with the group, everything else can be a blue note adding to the beauty, insight, and debth of the whole piece. Ride your ride. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds you like you need more Mt. Dew, green pills, and breakfast. When we were riding from Puna to Volcano a few years ago, I didn't think I was going to climb the 4,000 feet. I remember that I tied an imaginary rope to you and you pulled me up. Take your time going up those hills and find someone to tie off to if you need it.

    Phil Ochs makes another appearance on your journey. He also travelled to the "Hills of West Virginia."

    Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cEpg5HUzo8

    Lyrics:
    From the flat plains of Ohio we drifted out one day,
    for the southern part of the journey
    Underneath the bridge, the Ohio River sang
    As we headed for the Hills of West Virginia


    And the red sun of the morning was smiling through the trees,
    As the darkness of the night was quickly fading,
    And the fog hugged the road like a cloudy, cloudy sea,
    As we drove though the hills of West Virginia.

    We smoked the tobacco and drank of the wine,
    And we spoke of the forest we were passing.
    And the road would wind and wind and wind,
    When we drove through the hills of West Virginia.

    Among all the wealth of the beauty that we passed,
    There was many old shacks a-growing older,
    And we saw the broken bottles laying on the grass.
    When we drove though the hills of West Virginia.

    The Virginia people watched as we went riding by,
    Oh, proud as a boulder they were standing.
    And we wondered at each other with a meeting of the eye,
    When we drove thought the hills of West Virginia.

    And once in a while we would stop by the road
    and gaze at the womb of the valley,
    almost wishing for a path down below,
    Where we stopped in the hills of West Virginia.

    Up and down and all around we took our restless ride,
    And the rocks they were staring cold and jagged.
    Where explosions of the powder had torn away the side,
    Where we drove through the hills of West Virginia.

    And the orange sun was falling on the southern border line,
    As the shadows of the night were now returning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad-
    Glad you managed to get through yesterday. Jason's a firm believer in Mtn Dew and its ability to revive even the most tired soul. I'm also glad mom replenished your supply of green pills. Do whatever you have to do to get through the next few days. Practice some centering prayer on this line, "West Virginia, mountain mama, take me home, country roads."
    There's no doubt West Virginia will be grueling. But hopefully you can focus on the beauty around you, too. Just remember, you're capable of these climbs. You did similar mountains on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    I agree with all of

    ReplyDelete
  7. Accidentally hit publish-I agree with all of those who said your blog has been a gift to those of us following your journey. Thanks for taking the time to write every night. I know it's no small feat because some of your fellow riders aren't posting every day or are only posting pictures, admitting they're too wiped out to write.
    Try to remember the words you said to me on that killer climb on TOMRV. You didn't let me give up. You said it was ok to stop and rest. And that we could take as long as I needed. I know that's tough when you're trying to get through the day as quickly as you can, though.
    I love you!
    AE

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete