Thursday, August 1, 2013

August 1, Stage 26

August 1, Coldwater, MI to Lima, OH, 129 miles, approx. 1500 ft of climbing. Pretty flat, new computer does not measure altitude. Favorable wind out of west in the morning chaned to southwest as route headed south. Still averaged 16.7 for the day. Plenty of agriculture fields that looked good. Not the black dirt of Iowa,though. We crossed into a northwest corner of Indiana for a few miles this morning. In that small sample, farms/buildings were more run down than in MI or OH. A number of small towns looked like they had peaked 50 years ago,but some still had a United Methodist church functioning, much like IA,IL, and other rural areas--can't keep those young folks on the farm. Methodism seems alive and well in OH after seeing many Lutheran churches in MN and Reformed churches in western MI. Grand Rapids has a major seminary. Marsha asked me to comment on the difference between this ride and the Tour de France. TDF is much faster, no breaksthose pros are obviously in another league.. But some of the terrain would be similar. Iwill churn up the Appalla hians at about 5the mph. You wont see that in the TDF. On to Cir leville,OH tomorrow.p

3 comments:

  1. love the way you write. i can almost picture the pictureque (sp) by your description. Nice you throw in the churches as you past them on your routes. Still following you with my atlas. Challenge finding the small towns but i do it. But nothing compared to the challenges you face every day. Keep on. Can't wait for your description of Virgina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris, thanks again for your support and encouragement. The next few days will be very tough.

      Delete
  2. Those pros may go faster, but they don't go farther. Your 3,500 plus miles is going to make the Tour's 2,100 miles seem like a walk in the park. Your ride is 112 miles per day to the measly 100 miles a day ridden on this year's tour. Plus those lazy bums got two rest days in three weeks to your one in nearly five weeks. I bet those guys would have been dropping like flies.

    Did I mention how impressive it is that you're still at this almost 4 weeks in?!!

    The Black Keys wrote a song about Ohio that makes me think they did the Northern Transcontinental, too. In less than a week you'll be able to "let your tape rewind."

    The Black Keys- "Ohio"
    Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AzVda19Jmc

    Lyrics:
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, Ohio, hio
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, Ohio, hio
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, Ohio, hio
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, Ohio, hio

    Well the road
    It overtook me
    To the point
    Where I was blind
    My body was weak
    But not as much
    As my mind, oh my mind

    I just can't get
    Can't get my feel
    Of those hills
    Oh but still
    No matter where I am
    In this land
    I feel alone, when I'm not at home

    Oh, oh, oh, oh, Ohio, hio
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, Ohio, hio
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, Ohio, hio
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, Ohio, hio

    So if you
    If you see me
    Conquer down
    In your town
    I'm just watchin' the clock
    On the wall
    Till' I can go to the place I love most of all

    Radiate
    Or just wait to die
    Break your back
    And never, never wonder why
    Get me home before I
    Before I lose my mind
    I need some space to let my
    My tape rewind

    Oh, oh, oh, oh, Ohio, hio
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, Ohio, hio
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, Ohio, hio
    Oh, oh, oh, oh, Ohio, hio

    ReplyDelete